About Me

Sunday, 22 January 2012

Tips for Curriculum Vitae

Tips for CVS

  • Remember to put your Name!
  • Don’t write too small
  • AVOID USING ALL BLOCK CAPITALS
  • Use a font that is easy to read
  • Avoid italics
  • Do not underline everything
  • Do not use an offensive email address
  • Make sure there is a contact number/email for yourself
  • Do not lie
  • Do not use a wizard or template and do not copy from a friend’s cv
  • Add footers with your initials and the page number
  • Be concise and clear
  • Concentrate on your achievements
  • Highlight your IT skills e.g. Excel, Web Design
  • List your academic qualifications in chronological order
  • If you have an HND – include the grade e.g. Distinction
  • For your University units, include all the percentages
  • Get someone to check it – you will always miss one mistake
  • Keep updating the document
  • Add any relevant work experience, with dates, role, responsibilities and skills that you enhanced.
  • Try and make it stand out – have something different to say
  • Do not list your hobbies, choose a couple and expand on them (not playing snooker and going to the pub)
  • Keep the CV flat and always send in an A4 envelope
  • Shading can sometimes make the text unreadable if faxed or copied
  • Avoid tables – you end up squashing words together and leaving big gaps
  • If you use a Personal Statement, you need to indicate how you achieved these particular strengths
  • If you have any language skills, indicate your level, with regards to speaking, writing and reading
  • Use a good printer
  • Add two referees – but get their permission first
  • Try and get it onto two pages and use sensible page breaks

 Comments From Employers

“I expect that the CV is neatly presented, with clarity and containing relevant details”

Strategic Solutions

“ Take time over the layout of your CV, make it professional and smart”

Assa Training + Learning

“His CV is straight off a wizard on Microsoft Word.  A bit more thought could have gone into this.”

Black & Decker

Useful terms for your CV

Accounted for
Generated
Influenced
Persuaded
Represented
Marketed
Launched
Approved
Demonstrated
Edited
Moderated
Participated
Presented
Arranged
Created
Designed
Developed
Invented
Solved
Administered
Was responsible for
Revised
Controlled
Established
Maintained
Managed
Produced
Supervised
Organised
Undertook
Initiated
Negotiated
Facilitated
Improved

Words and phrases for CVs, covering letters and application forms

In this job / position / role I…
On my degree course I have …
gained knowledge of…
gained practical experience of…
became familiar with…
improved / strengthened my understanding of…
increased my awareness of…
demonstrated skills in …
I was responsible for…
I was in charge of ….
I participated in…
I was a member of…
I gained excellent feedback from my tutor in…
I obtained excellent grades in…

This position involved working in… / with…
This job developed my ….skills / abilities.
This role provided me with the opportunity to …
In this position my roles were varied. Not only did  I …, but also..

I’m keen to improve my knowledge of…
I’m interested in developing my … skills.
I believe that I can make a valuable contribution to …
I am confident that I can …

C.A.Burns, Sept.06 Ask International

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.